One of Hire Heroes USA’s biggest partnerships is with the USO. This partnership began in 2012 when the USO recognized Hire Heroes as a best-in-class organization that provides career transition services. In the past 2 years, Hire Heroes and the USO have conducted over 25 Career Opportunity Days at military installations across the country.
Career Opportunity Days provide an opportunity for service members to network with potential employers. These career days are small-scale career fairs in which a limited number of employers attend to make sure that each service member can receive one-on-one time to speak with employers.
Career Opportunity Days are different from tradition career fairs because:
- they are low-volume, high-impact with no more than 15 employers and 40-60 service members and their spouses
- they offer introductory interviews with the companies that include feedback from the interviewer
- they are offered at no cost to the service member or the companies
CareerBuilder suggests a few key tips to help prepare for a career fair such as our Career Opportunity Days.
- Arrive with a positive attitude – Have your elevator speech ready. A company can tell a lot about a person based on their attitude, so being positive shows that you are ready to work and you want to work.
- Bring several copies of your resumes – Employers only look at resumes for an average of 10 seconds, so make sure to have the most important information in your Summary of Qualifications.
- Do your research – Find out about the company’s mission, history, and future plans. The more you know, the more memorable you will be.
- Get the representative’s business card – This is an important aspect of networking. Getting a business card always gives you a connection to the company, so you can reach out for a more detailed informational interview or guidance.
- Plan a few key questions – Ask questions about the company culture, how your skills will fit with the company, or what the representative likes best about the company. This will give you a better idea of the framework of the company to see if it is a good fit for you.
If you follow these tips you have a great chance of being successful at one of these events! Click here for more information about our Career Opportunity Days.