The holidays are upon us! Your focus is shifting on festivities and you may plan to halt your job search until the New Year, but believe it or not the holiday season is one of the best times of the year to actively search for a job. Here’s why:
- You have more time. Work always seems to slow down during the holidays. If you are still working take this time to schedule interviews during your lunch hour or take off a few hours early to meet a hiring manager.
- There is less competition. Hiring managers report receiving significantly fewer applications during the holiday season. This is the ideal time to submit your resume. With less competition, your chances of receiving an interview increase.
- Networking opportunities increase. What is a holiday season without holiday parties? Company and association holiday parties serve as an excellent opportunity to network. Take advantage of the opportunity to make new contacts and deliver your Value Proposition.
- Companies rush to hire. Most companies begin reviewing the current year’s budget in November and forecasting next year’s needs. If there is a surplus of money in the current budget, a company may rush to hire someone before the end of the year. Similarly, companies may realize an immediate need for an employee with a start date of early January.
- People are happier. The holiday season is the perfect time to ask for advice from others, as people are generally in good spirits.
While the holidays are a time to enjoy with family and friends, do not abandon your job search. You can be missing out on some of the best opportunities of the year!