Hire Heroes USA Featured Employer: Sanford Health
It is obvious that Sanford Health recognizes the sacrifice that veterans and their family members have made, therefore Sanford goes above and beyond to demonstrate their commitment and appreciation to those that served. 2017 marked a big year for Sanford Health as they formalized their “Sanford Health Department of Veterans and Military Services.” Since the establishment of this department, their veteran initiatives have continued to pave the way for other employers and service providers alike.
In the summer of 2017, Sanford Health demonstrated its commitment to service members by participating in the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) program. Sanford’s CEO and president Kelby Krabbenhoft, signed a statement pledging to support the military services of employees and advocate for employee participation in the military. In the summer of 2018, Sanford took it a step further by implementing a differential pay policy for service members employed with Sanford who are mobilized or deployed.
Sanford Department of Veterans and Military Services continues to demonstrate the organization’s commitment with the implementation of the following programs:
- Veterans Club: The clubs are part of the organization’s efforts to streamline and add resources for veterans, military personnel, and their families. The clubs provide a private place to rest and relax or chat with other veterans at its medical centers in Fargo, ND and Sioux Falls, SD and are equipped with coffee and water, guest computer access, and a lounge area with a game table and TV.
- Featured Veterans: Sanford recognizes and appreciates those staff members that have sacrificed to serve their country and recognize their military contributions of staff members across their ranks.
- Recognition of Veteran Employees: Employees that have served have the option to display their veteran status on their identification badge.
- Scholarship Assistance: The Sanford Health Military and Veteran Scholarship will honor a veteran, guard/reserve or active-duty military service member and full-time student pursuing a bachelor’s, graduate or professional degree and who possesses exceptional character and leadership in service, academics, and community involvement by offering a $5,000 scholarship.
- Veteran Hiring Initiatives: Job-seeking veterans can visit Sanford Health’s veterans job site, which matches military jobs with open positions.
- Veteran Information Hotline: The Sanford Veteran Information Hotline provides veterans with a single point of contact for questions and is available by calling 1-800-949-1848. The hotline can be used to answer a variety of questions on such topics from employment opportunities available with Sanford to care or support needs offered through Sanford Health to Veterans.
The effort that Sanford Health has put forward has not gone unrecognized. They were recognized as a semi-finalist for the Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award and the Pro Patria Award. The Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award is the highest recognition given by the U.S. Government to employers for their outstanding support of employee’s service in the Guard and Reserve. The ESGR’s Pro Patria Award is presented annually by each ESGR State Committee to one small, one large and one public sector employer in their state or territory. Recipients have demonstrated the greatest support to Guard and Reserve employees through their leadership and practices, including adopting personnel policies that make it easier for employees to participate in the National Guard and Reserves. This is the highest-level award that may be bestowed by an ESGR State Committee.
Sanford Health is committed not only to providing military members and veterans with exceptional care, but they provide them with the employment opportunities they deserve to support their families. They recognize the value veterans bring to their organization and have actively engaged with Hire Heroes USA to recruit military. In the past year, Sanford health has taken a holistic approach to recruit military members and veterans by participating in all of Hire Heroes USA’s recruitment platforms such as posting to Hire Heroes USA Job Board, Sponsoring of Virtual Workshops (August 15th and October 22nd), and recruiting from Hire Heroes USA’s Virtual Career Fair scheduled for November 1st, 2018. If you’re interested in learning more about this great employer, check out Sanford’s Veteran Website!