Military members and veterans face barriers to employment that stem from their military service. It’s a challenge our team helps these men and women overcome every day. But, military spouses also face barriers to employment, and these stem from their spouse’s military service.
Frequent moves due to changes in duty station, caring for children when their spouse is deployed, and having to re-obtain certifications that don’t transfer from state to state are only a few reasons why the military spouse unemployment rate is four times higher than their civilian counterparts. These unique job search challenges require a unique approach. That’s where Hire Heroes USA comes in.
Our Serving Spouses℠ program is a career coaching program tailored specifically to military spouses. Military Spouses who register for the program are individually paired with a Transition Specialist on our team who understands the unique challenges they face in the job search, like communicating gaps in employment and understanding transferrable skills. We do our best to ensure military spouse registrants are paired with a military spouse on our team; someone who knows the challenges first-hand and has overcome them. Searching for employment is stressful enough without the added challenge of being a military spouse, but you don’t have to do it alone.
Check out our upcoming events for military spouses:
|Date||Event and Location||Register|
|Sept. 18, 2018||Online – Serving Spouses℠ Virtual Career Transition Workshop|
The 2017 U.S. Chamber of Commerce Report states that:
- 56% of military spouses identify as unemployed or underemployed
- 90% of military spouses moved more than 50 miles on one or more occasion due to their spouses’ career, and 50% moved three times
- More than 25% of military spouses are working more than one job in order to make ends meet
- 70% of employed spouses do not think their education or experience is being fully utilized in their current position
Our records indicate that:
- 73% of military spouses working with Hire Heroes USA possess a 4-year degree or higher, but 51% are still looking for full-time employment
- 35% of military spouses working with Hire Heroes USA believe their resume is the biggest challenge to finding employment