In 2004, U.S. Army SGT Justin Callahan was severely injured in a landmine explosion while on patrol in Afghanistan. He returned to the U.S. as a patient at Walter Reed Army Medical center – a far cry from where he’d been while serving overseas. After seven surgeries, including a below-the-knee amputation, as well as extensive physical therapy, SGT Callahan embarked on a long road to recovery.
While still in treatment, SGT Callahan happened to meet then MedAssets CEO John Bardis. The two formed an immediate bond, and when Bardis learned Callahan’s biggest concern was his uncertainty about his future, he offered him a job on the spot.
It was through that chance encounter that Bardis discovered the true plight of unemployed veterans. Bardis then created what is now Hire Heroes USA to provide personalized job search assistance for transitioning U.S. military members, veterans and military spouses.
Hire Heroes USA is one hundred percent committed to veteran and military spouse employment, which is demonstrated through our relentless focus on professional and personalized service. So, what sets us apart?
- Our services are free and most are offered virtually, so we work with clients regardless of location
- Clients are individually-paired with a Transition Specialist – many of whom are veterans and military spouses and all of whom understand how challenging the job search can be.
- We offer services beyond the 1-1 assistance from a Transition Specialist, including virtual workshops, career fairs, webinars, a job board and more.
- Our services don’t go away until the veteran or military spouse decides they no longer need them.
- Our job board houses tens of thousands of jobs posted by companies who have been vetted by our staff.
- We partner with companies that offer scholarships and training opportunities to veterans and military spouses.
- Our network of more than 750 volunteers – most of whom work in corporate America, as entrepreneurs, or as federal employees – coach, mentor and mock interview clients to help them prepare for the job search.
We believe it’s more than just a numbers game. Each and every one of our program participants has a unique story to tell, as well as a unique skill set to offer employers. Through our expert, personalized service and support, we help individuals transform their lives every single day.
Hire Heroes USA empowers U.S. military members, veterans and military spouses to succeed in the civilian workforce.
Be the Nation’s preferred veteran employment service organization through a relentless focus on personalized career coaching that improves clients’ quality of life and strengthens the U.S. economy.
Integrity | Passion | Effectiveness | Collaboration